Name of chambers:
KCH Garden Square
Head of Chambers:
Mark van der Zwart
Address of chambers:
1 Oxford Street
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Crime, Civil, Family
Criminal; Crime; Civil; Family
Public access work; Mediation; Arbitration
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£12,000 - £19,999
16 August 2017 at 5:01 PM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
1. KCH Garden Square is a large, progressive and well-respected set based in the East Midlands. With centres in both Nottingham and Leicester and over 50 tenants, KCH Garden Square has a significant presence on the Midland Circuit with a busy practice of high quality work.
2. Chambers offers specialist counsel in all areas of civil, family and criminal work and is ranked as a ‘Leading Set’ on the Midland Circuit in the 2016 Legal 500. Chambers is also ranked in the latest edition of Chambers & Partners for crime. To this end, chambers enjoy an excellent reputation for high standards of advocacy, expertise and professionalism whilst remaining approachable to both its professional and lay clients.
3. As part of KCH Garden Square’s ongoing recruitment and expansion due to high levels of work, chambers is seeking to recruit a pupil into the Criminal team. Pupillage is offered with a view to tenancy and is for a period of 12 months. Pupils can expect to be actively involved in the full range of criminal work undertaken by the Criminal team.
4. The pupillage award is £15,000 consisting of a monthly award of £1,250 in the ‘first six’ and guaranteed minimum earnings of £1,250 in the ‘second six’. Chambers invests a great deal of time and energy into its pupils and is committed to providing the best training possible.
5. In addition to a pupil supervisor dedicated to your professional development, pupils can expect to be assigned a ‘mentor’ from the ranks of junior members of chambers and to have access to a friendly and supportive network of like-minded professionals who want to ensure you thrive in your junior years of practice.
6. The high quality and volume of work in chambers, together with the commitment to your development and the collegiate atmosphere in chambers, makes pupillage at KCH Garden Square a thoroughly rewarding experience.
1. Applications are by covering letter and CV to be sent by post to Ms Hannah Wood, KCH Garden Square, Nottingham, NG1 5BH and marked ‘Criminal Pupillage’. The deadline for applications to have been received in chambers is 5pm on 16 August 2017, any applications received after this time will not be considered.
2. Covering letters should be no longer than one side of A4 and CVs should be limited to two sides of A4. The successful applicants will be able to demonstrate the following in their application:
a. Strong academic ability;
b. Excellent work ethic and enthusiasm for practising in criminal law;
c. Commitment to practising on the Midland Circuit;
d. Relevant experience of legal practice;
e. Aptitude and the potential for high quality advocacy;
f. Excellent inter-personal skills;
g. An attitude which is sympathetic to chambers’ values.
3. Applications will be assessed by the Pupillage Committee and thereafter a shortlist of applicants will be invited for a first round interview. The highest scored applicants will then be invited to attend a final round interview. Interviewees can expect to be required to conduct a short advocacy exercise which will be assessed by the panel.
4. Interviews will take place towards the end of September at chambers in Nottingham. It is anticipated that offers of pupillage will be made by 31 October 2017 with pupillage commencing in January 2018.
5. Subject to the number and quality of applicants, chambers reserve the right to recruit more or less than one pupil and to make ‘reserve offers’.
6. Due to the high number of applications received, chambers will not usually be able to offer feedback on unsuccessful applications. Those shortlisted for interview may request feedback, to be provided in line with the availability of the interviewers.