Name of chambers:
KCH Garden Square
Head of Chambers:
Address of chambers:
1 Oxford Street, Nottingham
96a New Walk, Leicester
NG1 5BH / LE1 7EA
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Crime, Civil, Family
Criminal; Crime; Family; Civil
Public access work; Mediation; Arbitration
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
1. KCH Garden Square is a large, progressive and well respected set based in the East Midlands. With centres in both Nottingham and Leicester and around 60 tenants, KCH Garden Square has a significant presence on the Midlands circuit with a busy practice of high quality work.
2. Chambers offers specialist counsel in all areas of civil, family and criminal work and is ranked as a ‘Leading Set’ on the Midlands Circuit in the 2017 Legal 500. Chambers is ranked in the recent edition of Chambers & Partners for crime. To this end, chambers enjoy an excellent reputation for high standards of advocacy, expertise and professionalism whilst remaining approachable to both its professional and lay clients.
3. Chambers is managed as two separate teams, the Crime Team and Civil & Family Team. As part of KCH Garden Square’s ongoing recruitment and expansion due to high levels of work, Chambers is seeking to recruit up to two pupils into the Civil & Family team. Pupillage is offered with a view to tenancy and is for a period of 12 months. Pupils can expect to be actively involved in the full range of the wide variety of work undertaken by the specialist Civil & Family team but with a focus on Family work.
4. The pupillage award is £16,500 consisting of a monthly award of £1,375 in the ‘first six and guaranteed minimum earnings of £1,375 in the ‘second six’. Chambers invests a great deal of time and energy into its pupils and is committed to providing the best training possible.
5. In addition to a pupil supervisor dedicated to your professional development, pupils can expect to be assigned a ‘mentor’ from the ranks of junior members of chambers and to have access to a friendly and supportive network of like-minded professionals who want to ensure you thrive in your junior years of practice.
6. The high quality and volume of work in chambers, together with the commitment to your development and the collegiate atmosphere in chambers, makes pupillage at KCH Garden Square a thoroughly rewarding experience.
1. Applications are by covering letter and CV to be sent by post to Mrs Hannah Scothern, KCH Garden Square, Nottingham, NG1 5BH and marked ‘Pupillage’. The deadline for applications to have been received in chambers is 01 May 2018, any applications received after this time will not be considered.
2. Applicants’ covering letters should be no longer than one side of A4 and CVs should be limited to two sides of A4. The successful applicants will be able to demonstrate the following in their application:
a. Strong academic ability,
b. Excellent work ethic and enthusiasm for chambers’ practice areas, particularly Family work,
c. Commitment to practising on the Midlands circuit,
d. Relevant experience of legal practice,
e. Aptitude and the potential for high quality advocacy,
f. Excellent inter-personal skills,
g. An attitude which is sympathetic to chambers’ values.
3. Applications will be assessed by the Pupillage Committee and thereafter a shortlist of applicants will be invited for interview. Interviewees can expect to be required to conduct a short advocacy exercise which will be assessed by their interviewers.
4. Chambers intends to interview shortlisted applicants by 09 July 2018 and to make offers of pupillage by 23 July 2018.
5. Subject to the number and quality of applicants, chambers reserve the right to recruit more or less than two pupils and to make ‘reserve offers’.
Due to the high number of applications received, chambers will not usually be able to offer feedback on unsuccessful applications. Those shortlisted for interview may request feedback, to be provided in line with the availability of the interviewers.