Name of chambers:
5 Pump Court
Head of Chambers:
Address of chambers:
5 Pump Court
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Civil; Family; Crime
Public access work; Mediation
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£20,000 - £29,999
7 February 2019 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
5 October 2020
12 month pupillage
Chambers is a long-established common law set. Tenants undertake a variety of work within one or more of the three practice teams: criminal, family and civil.
Pupils will usually have three supervisors during the year to give them the opportunity to see a variety of work. They can expect to be in court on most days during their second six.
Chambers has a good record of offering tenancy upon the successful completion of pupillage.
This year Chambers is looking for one pupil who has a genuine interest in undertaking a common law pupillage and one pupil who wishes to specialise in criminal law.
Applicants should have a solid academic background as well as relevant work and advocacy experience. They will also need to demonstrate strong personal development, motivation to become a barrister and a real desire to join Chambers.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills (including advocacy) that you believe may help you in your career. (200 words)
- Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers. Please also specify whether you are applying for a criminal or common law pupillage and explain why you are interested in your chosen practice area(s). (200 words)
- What sets you apart from other applicants? (100 words)
- Give your three strongest arguments for and against bringing back the death penalty in England and Wales. (250 words)
- What is the biggest threat to the future of the Bar and how can we counter it? (150 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.