Name of chambers:
Ely Place Chambers
Head of Chambers:
William McCormick QC
Address of chambers:
13 Ely Place Chambers
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Civil and Commercial
Business; Media and entertainment; Sports law; Property; Private client; Employment; Public law; Regulatory
Public access work; Mediation; Pro bono
London; South eastern
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£40,000 - £49,999
11 February 2019 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
4 October 2019
12 month pupillage
THE CHAMBERS Ely Place is an established barristers’ chambers with a forward thinking approach and traditional values. Based in the heart of legal London, we specialise in business, property and employment law but also have significant niche practices in private client, media, sport, regulatory and public law.
Business: The set’s business team provides swift, sound, practical advice to help its clients make effective and fully informed commercial decisions. Working with other legal professionals and businesses alike on the full range of business matters, from corporate disputes to individual insolvency.
Media & Sport: The media and sports team offer advice on a wide range of issues, from defamation claims to data protection breaches and employment law disputes. Specialist barristers work with media corporations and private individuals through to sports clubs and personalities.
Property & Private Client: The property and private client team offers expertise on the full range of property law and private client matters. Providing advice and advocacy on everything from boundary disputes to commercial dilapidations; private client experts have comprehensive knowledge of wills, probate and trusts.
Employment: The employment team provides expertise on all aspects of employment law, from discrimination to whistleblowing. As well as offering advice to prevent workplace disputes from arising, the barristers can also represent both employers and employees in tribunals, the EAT as well as the High Court and appellate courts.
Public & Regulatory: The public and regulatory team provides advice and advocacy on the full range of issues in this arena, including health and safety, environmental law and judicial review. The set represents public bodies as well as individuals and their families.
Ely Place prides itself on its advocacy and advice. We are a friendly and supportive set of chambers. We have consistently recruited from our pupils, with three of the our junior tenants having been taken on from pupils in the last three years.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR.
We are looking for an intelligent, determined individual to join as a pupil in October 2019 with a willingness to learn but an appreciation of the need to develop their own practice. Pupils can expect to appear regularly in court during their second six dealing with cases such as road traffic accidents, infant settlements and simple possession claims. Particular regard will be had to candidates who can demonstrate the following competencies:
• A good record of achievement in formally assessed qualifications, being a 2: 1 degree level or above (2:2 degrees will only be considered in exceptional circumstances accompanied by strong mitigation evidence);
• The ability to absorb and process a large amount of complex and detailed information both quickly and accurately.
• The ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
• Good advocacy skills, including building strong, persuasive, logical cases for various points of view regardless of own personal perspective, and able to deliver with confidence and impact to persuade audience.
• The ability to be resilient and comfortable in handling conflict, together with the ability to remain calm and in control when under pressure.
• Good interpersonal skills, being skillful in building productive working relationships with both colleagues and clients, and treating people with courtesy, regardless of who they are.
Pupillage award: £25,000 in the first six months with a guaranteed minimum earnings of a further £25,000 during second six.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- BC2: Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers and explain why you are interested in our areas of practice (200 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.