This vacancy has now closed and is listed for reference only.
Stour Chambers - 12 months - October 2019
Name of chambers:
Head of Chambers:
Address of chambers:
8 Vernon Place
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Public access work; Mediation; Pro bono
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£12,000 - £19,999
11 February 2019 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
Stour Chambers is looking to recruit one pupil for a 12 month funded pupillage beginning in October 2019.
A grant will be offered in line with the new recommendations of the BSB, to bring pupillage funding in line with the Living Wage. As such Chambers will be offering a grant of £15,728. Half of the figure will be received in the first six on a monthly basis. The second half is by way of guaranteed earnings in the second six. Past pupils have earned considerably more than the minimum guaranteed earnings.
Stour Chambers is a regional set with a strong local practice in family and general civil law. Pupils are expected to gain experience in both areas and practice in both areas during their second six. The vast majority of Stour Chambers pupils complete their pupillage successfully and are offered tenancy.
The successful candidate will benefit from stimulating and robust training in the full range of Chambers’ work. There are four pupil supervisors who will be responsible for the training who have a wealth of experience in practice over many decades between them. Pupils will have access to all levels of work from writing advices to representing clients in complex scenarios.
Chambers has a firm belief that pupillage is an effective way to recruit new tenants and is committed to equipping pupils for a successful career at the Bar. Chambers attracts a large volume of junior advocacy work and is therefore keen to expand. Previously pupils have been welcomed into Chambers life and given constructive feedback so as to give them the best possible chance of securing tenancy at the end of the year.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- BC1: Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career (200 words)
- Explain why you have applied to Stour Chambers and in particular what commitment you can demonstrate to establishing a regional practice in Canterbury? (200 words)
- What do you think is the biggest threat to the Bar today? Explain why and how it could be addressed by members of the Bar. (200 words)
- What practice area particularly interests you and why? (200 words)
- What skills and attributes would you bring to Chambers and how could you demonstrate those within Chambers? (200 words)
- Identify one area of law that you think is problematic and if you had the ability, what you would do to address that area of law. (200 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.