Name of chambers:
Head of Chambers:
Mr Christiaan Moll
Address of chambers:
4-6 Staple Inn
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Criminal; Immigration; Family
Public access work; Pro bono
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£12,000 - £19,999
7 February 2019 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
Blackfriars Chambers is a small friendly set based in Staple Inn, near Chancery Lane, whose members practise principally in criminal law, including a significant amount of prosecution work. Pupils can expect to be in court nearly every day during their second six, prosecuting and defending, primarily in the magistrates' court.
Chambers recruit pupils with a view to tenancy, so the successful candidate will have a demonstrable commitment to a practice in criminal law and a genuine interest in prosecution work. Your application should include details of your interest and experience in this area. Please note, this pupillage is primarily a criminal pupillage and succussful applicants must have a sole or primary interest in this area of law.
Successful applicants must also be able to demonstrate:
- A good academic track record, usually a minimum 2:1 degree (without this, only those with exceptional experience or extenuating circumstances will be considered), and, if completed, a Very Competent in the BTPC;
- Excellent written & oral communication skills and advocacy potential;
- Good interpersonal skills developed both in academic and other environments;
- Ability to think on their feet and problem solving skills;
- Determination to succeed at the Criminal Bar.
This pupillage vacancy is for October 2019 so candidates should be at the stage whereby they will have completed their BTPC by then.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- Why do you wish to become a barrister? (200 words)
- Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career. (250 words)
- What areas of practice are you interested in and why? (200 words)
- Why do you want to join our Chambers? (150 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.