Name of chambers:
Baker & Partners
Head of Chambers:
Address of chambers:
2-10 Library Place
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£30,000 - £39,999
11 February 2019 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
Baker & Partners is a premier litigation and dispute resolution practice based in Jersey, Channel Islands. We pride ourselves on providing comprehensive, practical and effective solutions to complex disputes. Our particular strength is in trusts and commercial litigation as well as civil fraud and diverse criminal matters.
We undertake wide range of common law work, with particular specialisms in civil fraud, contentious trusts, civil & commercial dispute resolution, international co-operation & asset recovery, regulation, insolvency and complex crime.
The members of Baker & Partners pride themselves on their practical advocacy ability and analytical skills. We look for the same in our pupils, all of whom are regarded as having strong employment potential.
Academically, we look for a first or upper second-class honours degree and skill in oral and written presentation of complex legal arguments. You will be expected to work hard, and to show strong commitment to your work and to operating from a Jersey base, albeit in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Pupils will be allocated two Pupil Supervisors, one during their First Six (which will take place in the offices of Baker & Partners in Jersey) and one during their Second Six which will be based in an associated London chambers.
During the 12 months of pupillage Pupils will be expected to undertake tasks from within the whole range of the firm’s specialist practice areas to maximise the breadth of the Pupil’s experience of differing types and methods of work.
Senior members of the firm may ask the Pupil to undertake specific tasks for them, which are not under the direct supervision of the Pupil Supervisor. Whilst this work is being undertaken the Pupil Supervisor retains overall responsibility for the Pupil and will be available to offer advice and assistance.
The Firm uses the BSB’s Checklist for Core Areas in addition to a bespoke Jersey practitioner check list.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- BC1: Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career (200 words)
- BC2: Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers and explain why you are interested in our areas of practice (200 words)
- BC3: What do you consider to be the major threats to the self-employed bar? (200 words)
- BC4: Why do you wish to become a barrister? (200 words)
- BC5: Please identify any additional experiences/skills gained that you believe may help you in your career (200 words)
- BC6: What core skills and personal attributes do you believe are essential for success as an offshore litigator? (200 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.