Name of chambers:
5 Stone Buildings
Head of Chambers:
Address of chambers:
5 Stone Buildings
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Probate; Trusts; Court of Protection; Pensions; Chancery; Property; Partnership; Tax; Offshore
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£60,000 - £100,000
7 February 2020 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
Chambers is one of the outstanding sets of Chancery chambers with many distinguished present and former members, including a number of current and former law lords. We have 35 members of whom seven are silks. Chambers is consistently ranked highly in the legal directories and the vast majority of our members are recommended practitioners. When compared with the largest chancery sets, chambers is relatively small; we believe that our size and ethos enables us to ensure that pupils and young tenants are trained and clerked properly and are well prepared for all the problems and opportunities which practice will throw at them. All members of chambers, however senior, are always willing to assist other members, however junior, and to provide advice and guidance when requested.
Generous terms are offered to junior tenants in their first years of practice, including heavily subsidised rent and an income guarantee.
Members' work covers a wide span of civil law with an emphasis on chancery work, from specialist wills, trust and probate, pension and revenue work through to real property and professional negligence. Chambers is instructed by a wide range of solicitors, from the largest City firms to sole practitioners outside London. Many members have practices involving work from the major offshore financial centres.
Applicants should normally have at least a 2:1 degree.We aim to offer one 12-month pupillage each year and to recruit tenants from our pupils. Our policy is only to offer pupillages to candidates whom we believe to be potential tenants. We welcome applications from law and non-law graduates alike.
Pupils will normally sit with at least three pupil supervisors during their period as a pupil with a view to experiencing a wide range of work. Pupils are given regular feedback as to how they might improve or refine their work.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- Briefly describe anything you have seen in the press related to our areas of practice? Please explain why it caught your interest, the outcome and whether, in your view, it was the right result. (150 words)
- Can you give us an example when you needed to use your skills of persuasion to reach a desired outcome? In your answer, please explain who you needed to influence, how you approached the task, how they reacted and the result. (150 words)
- Have you previously applied to 5 Stone Buildings or other chambers? (150 words)
- Is there anything else we should know? (100 words)
- BC1: Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career (200 words)
- BC2: Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers and explain why you are interested in our areas of practice (200 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.