Name of chambers:
5 Pump Court
Head of Chambers:
Address of chambers:
5 Pump Court
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Civil; Family; Crime
Public Access Work; Mediation
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£20,000 - £29,999
7 February 2020 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
4 October 2021
12 month pupillage
5 Pump Court is a successful common law set of chambers with three main practice teams: Criminal, Civil and Family. We are a friendly set and aim to make pupillage an instructive and enjoyable experience in which our pupils see a variety of work. To facilitate that, pupils will normally have three supervisors during the year. Pupils can expect to be in court on most days during their second six.
This year, 5 Pump Court seeks to recruit one pupil who can demonstrate a genuine desire to undertake pupillage in a common law chambers and one pupil who wishes to specialise in Crime.
Chambers pays a £10,000 award in the first six and guarantees earnings of £10,000 in the second six. Reasonable travel expenses outside Zone 4 in the first six are paid for as are mandatory training courses.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills (including advocacy) that you believe may help you in your career. (200 words)
- Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers. Please also specify whether you are applying for a criminal or common law pupillage and explain why you are interested in your chosen practice area(s). (200 words)
- What sets you apart from other applicants? (100 words)
- Give your three strongest arguments for and against decriminalising drugs. (250 words)
- Should Anne Sacoolas be granted diplomatic immunity? Please give reasons for your answer. (150 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.