Name of chambers:
Wilberforce Barristers Hull
Head of Chambers:
Richard Thompson and Sally Collins
Address of chambers:
7-9 Bishop Lane
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Criminal; Family; Crime; Civil
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£12,000 - £19,999
7 February 2020 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
7 September 2020
12 month pupillage
Wilberforce Barristers, established in 1965 in the heart of Hull Old Town, is a prominent set with a highly professional and dedicated team of 33 practitioners.
We cover a range of specialist areas including criminal, family and civil law, offering legal advice and advocacy in both publicly and privately funded work.
We have a wealth of experience in appearing before the Magistrates' Courts, Family Proceedings Court, Crown and County Courts, the Supreme Court and other tribunals.
Centrally located, we are accessible and in close proximity to many of the other law firms in the vicinity of Hull City Centre. In addition we have strong links with the South Bank legal community. We are also instructed by clients outside of the Humberside Area.
The pupillage offered is for 12 months with a view to tenancy. The pupillage award for the first six months will be Â£8,161.00 with guaranteed earnings of at least Â£8,161.00 for the second six months.
The pupillage will normally be split between two of our areas of speciality. Pupils are also generally expected to accompany a number of different barristers of all levels during pupillage and undertake work for members of chambers in their respective fields.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- 1. Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career. (200 words)
- 2. Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers and explain why you are interested in our areas of practice. (200 words)
- 3. Please give details of your advocacy experience. In your answer, please provide a maximum of four examples. (200 words)
- 4. Why do you wish to pursue a career at the bar? In your answer, please set out what it is about the job that appeals to you and the reasons why. (200 words)
- 5. Please provide details of your interests and any non-work related involvement. If such experiences are relevant to a career at the bar, please explain in what way. (200 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.