Name of chambers:
5 St Andrews Hill
Head of Chambers:
David Josse QC
Address of chambers:
5 St Andrews Hill
Chambers website address:
Main practice area:
Crime; Extradition; Family; Civil; Regulatory
Public Access Work
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£30,000 - £39,999
7 February 2020 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
4 October 2021
12 month pupillage
Pupillage for October 2021
5SAH is a specialist multi-practice set specialising in crime (prosecution and defence), extradition, proceeds of crime & asset forfeiture, family, regulatory and civil law.
In the first six months, pupils will have an opportunity to undertake work in a variety of practice areas with their pupil supervisors. In the second six months, whilst the majority of work undertaken will be criminal law, pupils will also undertake work in other practice areas including family and extradition, with the prospect of developing a family law practice in tenancy if desired.
5SAH offers two 12 month pupillages each year.
We run a fair selection process that aims to recruit bright candidates who also demonstrate flair and personality. The process comprises two interviews: the first includes both a general interview and a legal problem; the second takes the form of an advocacy exercise.
For more information on what life is like at 5SAH, we highly recommend prospective applicants download our 5SAH Pupillage Booklet, which is available under the pupillage recruitment tab of our website. https://www.5sah.co.uk/recruitment
The majority of the work undertaken by chambers is in the London and South East Area.
Pupillage is usually divided into 3 'seats' of 4 months with 3 different pupil supervisors. Throughout the 12 months pupil we follow a scheduled training programme, with assessed work, both oral and written.
Pupils will be awarded £20,000 for the first six months with guaranteed earnings of £15,000 in the second 6 months. Pupils also receive travel costs for any travel outside of the M25 during their first 6 months.
We offer a friendly, sociable and diverse working environment, within a historic building with modern facilities, equidistant from the Temple and the City.
We have been informed that a glitch in the system has resulted in questions 2 & 3 being duplicated, this cannot be amended at this stage, please duplicate your answer and this will be amended by the gateway to show a single answer before your application is passed over.
If you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- BC1: Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career (200 words)
- BC2: Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers and explain why you are interested in our areas of practice (200 words)
- Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers and explain why you are interested in our areas of practice. (200 words)
- What do you see as the biggest challenges to the criminal justice system in the next 5 years and how do you think they could impact on your practice? (200 words)
- Can you provide examples of your ability to work independently/alone as well as part of a team? (200 words)
- Where would you like your career to be in 5 years time? (200 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.