Name of AETO:
Head of AETO:
Nigel Moore and Rupert Chapman
Address of AETO:
Dean Clarke Gardens
Main practice area:
Family and Civil
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£12,000 - £19,999
8 February 2021 at 11:00 AM
Pupillage start date:
18 October 2021
12 month pupillage
Magdalen Chambers in Exeter invites applications for up to two pupillages commencing in October 2021. Please note that we are separately advertising for up to two pupillages to start in October 2022. You may apply for both pupillages but they have to be separate applications.
Chambers intends to recruit one family and one civil pupil. Please be clear in your application which is your preferred area of specialism.
Magdalen Chambers is the largest set in the south-west (south of Bristol) with 43 members and is looking to expand further through the recruitment of outstanding pupils with the potential to become tenants. Chambers is a friendly and welcoming set with a reputation for excellence in both family and general civil law, cultivated by members across Chambers who have been consistently recognised by legal directories such as Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500.
Chambers is committed to ensuring that pupils receive training of the highest standard. Chambers has recently undertaken a comprehensive review of its pupillage policies and procedures to ensure that the training provided continues to meet this expectation. Training is designed to ensure that pupils are able to meet the competences in the Professional Statement to the threshold standard by the end of their pupillage. Chambers is equally as committed to the wellbeing of its pupils and has been awarded the Bar Council Certificate of Recognition for the support it provides to members and staff.
Pupils will be allocated one pupil supervisor but will be expected to spend time with other members in order to gain exposure to the different types of work that Chambers undertakes. In your second six, you will start to take on your own cases as well as continuing to undertake work with, or on behalf of, tenants. A junior member will be allocated as a mentor to provide more informal support and advice.
The training for pupillage will include:
• Regular opportunities for pupils to receive feedback on their progress from their pupil supervisor and the pupillage committee;
• Formal reviews every three months;
• Regular advocacy exercises;
• The opportunity to undertake work with a variety of members specialising in different areas of law;
• The opportunity to attend court with junior members;
• Such flexibility as is necessary to take into account pupils’ personal circumstances;
• Encouraging pupils to reflect critically on their own progress.
The pupillage award will be £16,322pa plus reasonable expenses (including the cost of undertaking mandatory courses). The pupillage award will be made up of Chambers’ grant plus earnings (in the second six). Pupils can reasonably expect their earnings to exceed the minimum award in their second six.
Chambers has a good track record of seeing its pupils successfully obtain tenancy at Chambers. In the last 3 years, 5 out of 5 pupils have been offered (and taken up) tenancy with Chambers.
The timetable for applications is likely to be as follows:
• Applications to be made by 8h February 2021
• Invitation for interview by 12th March 2021
• Interview and advocacy exercise in the weekend of 20th March 2021
• Offers of pupillage to be made by 7th May 2021.
• Pupillage to commence in October 2021
• (Chambers reserves the right to make such variations to this timetable and process as are necessary)
Pupils will be able to apply for tenancy from approximately July 2022, to commence at the end of their pupillage.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- With reference to your experiences and achievements, please explain why you would be suited to a career at the bar. (250 words)
- Please explain why you have want to join Magdalen Chambers (250 words)
- Please explain whether you are applying for a pupillage in civil or family law and why you are interested in that area. (250 words)
- What is the greatest challenge you have faced and how have you dealt with it? (250 words)
- If there is anything else you would like us to know about you, please tell us here (150 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.