FAMILY LAW PUPILLAGE AT KCH GARDEN SQUARE
1. KCH Garden Square is a large, progressive, inclusive and well respected set based in the East Midlands. With centres in Nottingham and Leicester and around 60 tenants, KCH Garden Square has a significant presence on the Midland Circuit.
2. We offer specialist counsel in all areas of civil, family and criminal work and are ranked as a ‘Leading Set’ on the Midlands Circuit in the 2022 Legal 500. The Civil & Family Team has a number of its members ranked in the 2022 Legal 500 as Leading Juniors and Rising Stars, across all tiers. To this end, we enjoy an excellent reputation for high standards of advocacy, expertise and professionalism whilst remaining approachable to both our professional and lay clients.
3. We enjoy a strong local practice across the Midlands, meaning our members and pupils do not have to embark upon frequent, lengthy journeys to court centres out of area. Our busy practice means pupils and junior tenants have access to higher quality work than may otherwise be the case, given their lack of seniority. Junior members therefore enjoy interesting and rewarding work which accelerates their professional development, supported by our friendly, dedicated practice managers and administrative staff.
4. KCH Garden Square is managed as two separate teams, the ‘Crime Team’ and the ‘Civil & Family Team’. As part of our ongoing recruitment and expansion due to high levels of work, we are looking to recruit 2 pupils into each team.
5. One of the pupils we recruit will be trained in family litigation, focusing primarily upon public and private law children disputes.
6. Pupillage is offered with a view to tenancy and is for a period of 12 months. We do not recruit pupils to compete with one another for a limited number of tenancies as to do so is not, in our view, conducive to an effective training environment or compatible with the supportive and collegiate nature of KCH Garden Square.
7. The pupillage award is £26,500 over 12 months, consisting of:
a. A monthly award of £1,500 in the ‘first six’ plus reasonable travel expenses.
b. Guaranteed minimum earnings in the ‘second six’ as follows:
i. Month 7 - £1,750
ii. Month 8 - £2,000
iii. Month 9 - £3,250
iv. Month 10 - £3,500
v. Month 11 - £3,500
vi. Month 12 - £3,500
c. We will also cover the costs of compulsory training and assessments required by the BSB during your pupillage year.
8. There is no ‘clawback’ on receipts earned by the pupil. Pupils are guaranteed to earn the above amounts as a minimum, each month, regardless of how much they may earn in excess of the above minimums in other months.
9. KCH Garden Square invests a great deal of time and energy into its pupils and is committed to providing the best training possible. We have received accreditation as a Bar Standards Board approved AETO and use a comprehensive Training Programme designed by Higher Education professionals.
10. In addition to a pupil supervisor dedicated to your professional development, pupils are assigned a ‘Pupil Buddy’ from the ranks of our junior membership, a ‘Clerking Mentor’ and will have access to a friendly and supportive network of like-minded professionals who want to ensure you thrive in your junior years of practice.
11. We value our pupils as members of our professional team and are committed to your development, training and wellbeing. Pupils can expect to take advantage of our comprehensive policies, including those relating to:
a. Compassionate and parental leave,
b. Equality, diversity & inclusion,
d. Part-time working.
12. Our pupils and members enjoy a good work-life balance, are expected to work reasonable hours and to take periods of leave to safeguard their wellbeing and ensure they are able to work efficiently, delivering a high standard of service to their clients.
13. We are passionate about improving access to and equality in the profession. Many of our members are involved in widening participation, equality, diversity and social mobility initiatives on circuit and with law schools. To that end, there is no ‘buy-in’ or financial investment required in order to become a tenant at KCH Garden Square.
14. We are a friendly, collegiate and sociable set where pupils can expect to be invited to a wide range of social events. Pupils will also have an opportunity to contribute to KCH Garden Square’s numerous employability and widening participation initiatives, if they so wish.
15. The high quality and volume of work in chambers, together with the commitment to your development and a collegiate atmosphere, makes pupillage at KCH Garden Square a comprehensive and thoroughly rewarding experience.
16. More details about Pupillage in chambers can be found here: Pupillage - KCH Garden Square - Clear | Compelling | Approachable