Name of AETO:
Head of AETO:
Duncan Matthews QC & Stephen Atherton QC
Address of AETO:
20 Essex Street
Main practice area:
Shipping; Energy; Civil Fraud; Insolvency and Restructuring; International Law; Banking and Financial Services; Banking and Consumer Credit; European Law; Competition; Information Technology; International Commercial Arbitration; Arbitration; International Trade; Insurance; Public Law; Company; Intellectual Property; Telecommunications
Adjudication; Arbitration; CLIPS; Licensed Access; Mediation; Pro Bono
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£60,000 - £100,000
9 February 2022 at 2:00 PM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
Pupillage at Twenty Essex offers the opportunity to train with barristers at the top of their profession at the cutting edge of commercial and international law. The key features of pupillage at Twenty Essex:
• We are a leading commercial and public international law set
• We seek outstanding applicants.
• Diversity and inclusivity are very important to us. We were the first chambers to adopt Rare’s CSR.
• High retention rate: 80% of our pupils taken on as tenants in the last few years.
• A detailed, structured training programme. We do not just test: we teach.
• Friendly and supportive atmosphere in chambers.
• Generous award of £75,000, with drawdown and other benefits.
• An emphasis on work/life balance for pupils.
• No numbers limits: if you achieve tenancy standard you will be offered tenancy.
For more details and our full selection criteria, please see our website: www.twentyessex.com. We look forward to your application.
Any questions about how to get a commercial pupillage? Join our webinar "Twenty Things I Wish I Had Known About Pupillage Applications" at 5pm on 12 January 2022. This informal session will include pupillage interview panellists and new tenants answering your questions to help you maximise your chances of success. All questions will be anonymised before they are seen by the panel. To sign up and submit a question please email email@example.com
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- BC1 - Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant additional experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career. (100 words)
- BC2 - What areas of practice are you interested in and why? (100 words)
- BC3 Please give your reasons for choosing to apply to Twenty Essex. (100 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.