Name of AETO:
2 Bedford Row
Head of AETO:
Brian Altman QC and Jim Sturman QC
Address of AETO:
2 Bedford Row
Main practice area:
Crime; Regulatory; Professional Negligence; Inquiries and Inquests; Business and Corporate Crime; Environment; Fraud; Health and Safety; Military; Sports law; White Collar Crime; Police; Professional Discipline
Public Access Work
London; South eastern
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£30,000 - £39,999
9 February 2022 at 2:00 PM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
2 Bedford Row offers up to three 12 month pupillages per annum.
Upon completion of 12 months pupillage, it is usual for Chambers to invite some, or all pupils, to complete a further six months pupillage prior to consideration of any tenancy applications. In exceptional circumstances a tenancy application will be considered after completion of 12 months pupillage.
Pupils will receive a sum of £30,000 over the course of their 12 months in Chambers. This will be made up of a grant of £15,000, payable during the first six months and a guaranteed income of £15,000 during the second six months.
Pupils at 2 Bedford Row have the opportunity to work on high profile cases with some of the leading criminal practitioners in the country. Pupils spend their first six in the company of their pupil supervisor; usually attending Court every day. They will also assist other members of Chambers so that they are exposed to as many different areas of Chambers’ expertise as possible.
Second & Third Sixes:
During their 6-12 months ‘on their feet’, pupils appear on a daily basis in the Magistrates’, Crown and Youth Courts in a wide variety of criminal matters.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- Please explain why you think Equality and Diversity is important at the Criminal Bar (200 words)
- BC1: Why do you believe you will make a good barrister? In your answer, please identify any relevant experiences or skills that you believe may help you in your career (200 words)
- BC2: Why do you want to join our chambers? In your answer, please give reasons for your choice of chambers and explain why you are interested in our areas of practice (200 words)
- What is the greatest challenge you have faced so far? (200 words)
- How would your friends describe you? (200 words)
- Please provide an example which demonstrates your analytical and legal skills. (200 words)
- What challenges face the Bar in the future and how will you deal with them? (200 words)
To apply, please click on the Apply Online link below and then complete the online application form.