Name of AETO:
Head of AETO:
Nigel Moore and Rupert Chapman
Address of AETO:
Dean Clarke Gardens
Main practice area:
Family and Civil
Number of junior tenancies (in the last three years):
Number of pupillages:
Financial support level:
£12,000 - £19,999
9 February 2022 at 2:00 PM
Pupillage start date:
12 month pupillage
Magdalen Chambers in Exeter invites applications for up to two pupillages commencing in October 2023. Please note that we are separately advertising for one family pupillage to start in October 2022. You may apply in both years but they have to be separate applications.
Chambers intends to recruit one family and one civil pupil. Please be clear in your application which is your preferred specialism.
Magdalen Chambers is the largest set in the south-west (south of Bristol) with 48 members and associate members and is looking to expand further through the recruitment of outstanding pupils with the potential to become tenants. Chambers is a friendly and welcoming set with a reputation for excellence in both family and general civil law, cultivated by members across Chambers who have been consistently recognised by legal directories such as Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500.
Chambers is committed to ensuring that pupils receive training of the highest standard. Chambers has recently undertaken a comprehensive review of its pupillage policies and procedures to ensure that the training provided continues to meet this expectation. Training is designed to ensure that pupils are able to meet the competences in the Professional Statement to the threshold standard by the end of their pupillage. Chambers is equally as committed to the wellbeing of its pupils and has been awarded the Bar Council Certificate of Recognition for the support it provides to members and staff.
Pupils will be allocated one pupil supervisor but will be expected to spend time with other members in order to gain exposure to the different types of work that Chambers undertakes. In your second six, you will start to take on your own cases as well as continuing to undertake work with, or on behalf of, tenants. A junior member will be allocated as a mentor to provide more informal support and advice.
The training for pupillage will include:
• Regular opportunities for pupils to receive feedback on their progress from their pupil supervisor and the pupillage committee;
• Formal reviews every three months;
• Regular advocacy exercises;
• The opportunity to undertake work with a variety of members specialising in different areas of law;
• The opportunity to attend court with junior members;
• Such flexibility as is necessary to take into account pupils’ personal circumstances;
• Encouraging pupils to reflect critically on their own progress.
The pupillage award will be £16,601pa plus reasonable expenses (including the cost of undertaking mandatory courses). The pupillage award will be made up of Chambers’ grant plus earnings (in the second six). Pupils can reasonably expect their earnings to exceed the minimum award in their second six.
Chambers has a good track record of seeing its pupils successfully obtain tenancy at Chambers. In the last 3 application rounds, 5 out of 5 pupils have been offered (and taken up) tenancy with Chambers.
The timetable for applications is likely to be as follows:
• Applications to be made by 9th February 2022
• Invitation for interview by 11th March 2022
• First round interview in the week commencing 21st March 2022
• Second round interview 9th April 2022
• Offers of pupillage to be made by 6th May 2022.
• Pupillage to commence in October 2023
• (Chambers reserves the right to make such variations to this timetable and process as are necessary)
Pupils will be able to apply for tenancy from approximately July 2024, to commence at the end of their pupillage.
The following questions will form the Pupillage Application Questionnaire section
of the application form for this pupillage vacancy. These are included here to allow
you to prepare in advance.
- With reference to your experiences and achievements, please explain why you would be suited to a career at the bar. (250 words)
- Please explain why you want to join Magdalen Chambers (250 words)
- Please explain whether you are applying for a pupillage in civil or family law and why you are interested in that area. (250 words)
- What is the greatest challenge you have faced and how have you dealt with it? (250 words)
- If there is anything else you would like us to know about you, please tell us here (150 words)